||The Mill Hill Burying Ground
This listing of those buried in the Mill Hill Burying Ground was recorded in 1924. Therefore, only those headstones that were visible and readable were recorded. Also, in the Colonial Period, less than a third of burials were marked with an inscribed headstone. Often, a simple rock was used. Some errors may have occurred when the compiler initially copied the information, or from typographical errors created when transcribing the original printed or microfilmed documentation into the present format. If the person you are looking for is not on this list, it does not mean that they are not buried at Mill Hill. If you have information that someone is buried at Mill Hill but is not on our list, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.
(Transcribed December 6, 2006 by Madeleine Eckert)
TRANSCRIBER’S NOTE 1: 45 pre-1800 cemetery records
TRANSCRIBER’S NOTE 2: Words have been transcribed exactly as spelled in the original document.
Daniel Hearn Survey
of Pre-1800 Stones at Old Burying Ground (1980)
Mill Hill Historic Complex
2 East Wall Street, Norwalk, CT
The property alongside the “Town House Museum” off East Ave. in Norwalk contains a rather old burying-ground dating back to the 1740’s. This place was for some inexplicable reason overlooked by me during the course of my original researches in this area in 1975. The names and dates appearing on all surviving pre-1800 stones at this place read as follows and were copied from sight on June 22, 1980.
Betts,Mary B. ob.1799.
Back to top
Inscriptions prior to 1800 at old cemetery next to “Town House Museum,” East Ave., Norwalk, Conn., as of June 22, 1980. (from Hearn Survey)
TRANSCRIBER’S NOTE: Throughout the Hearn survey, “February” is written as “Febuary” and “lament” is written as “lamenate.”
- In memory of Mrs. Lydia Beers, wife of Mr. Nathan Beers, who died June 30th AD 1796 in the 71st year of her age.
- In memory of Sarah Beers, daughter to Nathan & Lydia Beers, departed this life July the 19th 1781 in the 22 year of her age.
- In memory of Mr. Seth Benedict who died October 13th AD 1776 aged 39 years and 4 months.
- Mrs. Elizabeth Betts, the daughter of Capt. William Maltby of NEW HAVEN, & wife of Thaddeus Betts Esq., of this town, was born March: 1726 & dy’d on the 8th day of Febuary: 1789 AEtat. 63d.
- Mr. John Betts here interred: was born November ye 27 Ad 1692 & died June ye 27 Ad 1767 Aetat. 75.
- In memory of John Betts, eldest son of Mr. Peter & Mrs. Sarah Betts, who departed this life much lamenated April 8: 1788 in the 24th year of his age and left a sorrowful widow to lamenate his unhappy fate.
- Here lyes buried the body of Mr. Joseph Betts who departed this life May 19: 1760 in ye 43rd year of his age.
- Mary B. Betts, wife of William Betts and daughter of Danl. & Mary Platt, died March 19: 1799 Aetat 18.
- Here lyes buried the body of Mr. Jonathan Burrall who departed this life September 4, 1772 in ye 51 year of his age.
- In memory of Samuel Burrall 2nd. son of Samuel & Deborah Burrall, who departed this life June 26th AD 1793 in the 10th year of his age.
- Here lyes buried the body of Mr. Theophilus Burrall who departed this life January 1, 1772 in ye 24th year of his age.
- Here lyes buried the body of Mr. Moses Comstock who departed this life January 18, 1766 in ye 82nd year of his age.
Behold and see as you pass by,
As you are now so once was I;
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for Death and follow me.
- Here are buried the remains of Mr. Ebenezer Gregory who died May 30, 1768 in ye 77th year of his age.
- In memory of Mrs. Elizabeth, wife of Mr. Samuel Grumman, who died September 15, 1795 aged 73 years.
- In memory of Jane, daughter of John & Jane Hyatt, who died September 3, 1796, aged 1 year and 57 days.
- Here lyes buried ye body of Mr. Daniel Kellogg who departed this life December 2, 176? in ye 64th year of his age.
- Here lye the remains of Mr. Epenetus Kellogg who departed this life the 19th of June 1774 in the 56th year of his age.
- In memory of Eunice, wife of Mr. Daniel Kellogg, who died November
(NOTE: CUT OFF. Information from Lester Card May 1934 survey:
Eunice Kellogg, wife of Daniel, died November 10, 1767 in 64th yr)
- Here lye the remains of Mrs. Jemima Kellogg, wife to Mr. Epenetus Kellogg, who departed this life the 9th of June 1789 in the 71st year of her age.
- Here lye ye remains of Miss Lydia Kellogg, daughter of Mr. Epenetus & Mrs. Jemima Kellogg, who departed this life the 7th of May 1779 in the 17th year of her age.
- In memory of Abigail Lockwood, daughter of Eliphalet & Susannah Lockwood, who departed this life November 16, 1794 in the 18th year of her age.
- Here lye the remains of Miss Anna Lockwood, daughter of Mr. Joseph Lockwood, dec’d, who departed this life December 3, 1774 in the 31st year of her age.
- Here lyes the body of Mr. Daniel Lockwood who departed this life October 17th AD 1751 in ye 35th year of his age.
- Here lyes buried the body of Mr. Eliphalet Lockwood who departed this life in the 78th year of his age: October ye 14th Anno Domini 1753.
- In memory of Hooker Lockwood, son of Eliphalet & Susannah Lockwood, who departed this life the 2nd day of September 1798, aged 16 years, 1 month, and 25 days.
- Here lyes buried ye body of Deacon Joseph Lockwood who departed this life November 23, 1760 in ye 81st year of his age.
- In memory of Mr. Joseph Lockwood who departed this life July 20, 1773 in ye 63rd year of his age.
- In memory of Mrs. Mary Lockwood, relict of Eliphalet Lockwood, who died March 6, 1761 in ye 89th year of her age.
- Here lye the remains of Mrs. Rebeckah Lockwood, wife of Mr. Joseph Lockwood, dec’d, who departed this life September 25th AD 1775 in the 59th year of her age.
- Here lyes the body of Miss Ruth Lockwood, daughter of Mr. Joseph Lockwood, dec’d, who departed this life November 4th AD 1774 in the 33rd year of her age.
- In memory of Susannah Lockwood, eldest daughter of Eliphalet & Susannah Lockwood, who departed this life 18th Decr. 1793, aged 21 years.
- In memory of Mr. John Platt who died July 4th AD 1771 in the 70th year of his age.
- Here lyes ye body of Justus Platt, son of Mr. John & Mrs. Sarah Platt, who departed this life Febuary 19, 1754, aged 16 years, 8 months and 21 days.
- In memory of Justus, son of Samuel & Ann Platt, who died August 22, 1764 aged 6 years, 8 months and 5 days.
- In memory of Mrs. Mary Platt, wife of Daniel Platt & daughter of Thaddeus & Elizabeth Betts, who died Febuary 3, 1782 Aetat 21.
- Here lyes interred the body of Dr. Uriah Rogers who departed this fleeting scene on the evening following the 6th day of May 1773 in the 63rd year of his age. In his much lamenated death his surviving relations have sustained an inexpressable loss and ye public a useful member of society.
- Beneath this humble stone lye the remains of Uriah Rogers MD who died December 23, 1776 Aet. 38.
SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI.
- In memory of Jeremiah Scribner who died August 6th AD 1780 in the 25th year of his age.
- In memory of Mrs. --?-- Selleck, wife of Capt. James Selleck, who died August 15th AD 1795 in the 50th year of her age.
- Here lyes buried ye body of Mr. James St. John who departed this life May 20th AD 1754 in ye 86th year of his age.
- In memory of Miss Jemima, daughter of Mr. Nathan & Mrs. Lois St. John, who died Febuary 13th AD 1791, aged 39 years, 9 months and 1 day.
- In memory of Mr. Nathan St. John who died June 10th AD 1795 in the 75th year of his age.
- Here lye the remains of Mr. Samuel St. John who departed this life --?-- 12th AD 1779 in the ? year of his age.
- Here lyes interred ye body of William Walker A.B. (son of the Honorable Robert Walker Esq. & Mrs. Rebecca Walker, of STRATFORD), who departed this life in NORWALK, Decemr the 6th AD 1768 in ye 20th year of his age. He had just gone thro’ a course of liberal education, was a youth of an aimiable temper, promising abilities, very dear to his parents and relatives & beloved by all his acquaintenance. SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI.
- In memory of Anne, daughter of Robert & Sarah Wasson, who departed this life Febuary 12th AD 1789, aged 9 years, 2 months and 15 days.
|Back to top