Visit Us

HOME

The Norwalk Historical Society manages and operates:

Norwalk Historical Society Museum

The Norwalk Historical Society Museum was opened on December 5, 2015 in the former Lockwood House, built in 1973.  Manice deForest Lockwood and his cousin Julia Belden Lockwood generously donated the funds to build the house, which was designed by Margaret Hoyt Smith.  Manice and Julia wanted to ensure their family heirlooms, which were passed down from several generations of the Lockwood families, could be preserved and enjoyed by future generations.

In 1997, the collection was moved to a new location in South Norwalk (41 North main Street) and opened as the Norwalk Museum.  The Norwalk Museum operated out of this location until May, 2012, when it was closed.

The Norwalk Historical Society along with the Norwalk Historical Commission moved the collection back to the former Lockwood House and renamed it the Norwalk Historical Society Museum.  With this move, the archives, genealogy and unframed photographs was placed with the  “History Room” located at the Norwalk Public Library Main branch (1 Belden Ave, Norwalk, CT).

Items from the four collection: City of Norwalk, Lockwood family, Norwalk Historical Society and the Connecticut Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), Norwalk-Village Green Chapter, will be rotated to tell unique stories about Norwalk and it’s residents through out time.

The Norwalk Historical Society administrative offices and gift shop are operated out of the Norwalk Historical Society Museum (141 East Ave., Norwalk, CT).

Current Exhibits

Norwalk Historical Society Museum Hours

~~

Wednesday through Saturday, Noon – 4:00pm.  Except holidays and special events.

Norwalk Historical Society Museum Admission

Self-guided tour

Adults (12 – 64 years old ): $5

Seniors (65 years old & up): $3

Students  (6-22 years old): $3

Children under 5 years old: Free

Gift Shop

Contains one-of-a-kind, handcrafted items by Connecticut artists, Norwalk-themed logo items, books, vintage children’s toys & games.

Norwalk Historical Society Museum Location

Norwalk Historical Society Museum
141 East Avenue
Norwalk, CT 06851
Phone: 203-846-0525
E-mail: info@norwalkhistoricalsociety.org
Website: www.norwalkhistoricalsociety.org

The front entrance is from the Norwalk City Hall parking area. The Museum is located in the red brick house with double blue front doors, next to the Norwalk Health Dept.

Click  for Directions

===========================================================================================

Mill Hill Historic Park

Located on top of Mill Hill overlooking the head of the Norwalk Harbor.  Contains the 1835 Town House (Meeting House), 1826 Downtown District Schoolhouse (Little Red Schoolhouse), c.1740 Governor Fitch Law Office, Mill Hill cemetery (3rd oldest in Norwalk) and a Colonial Herb garden.

Current Exhibits

Mill Hill Historic Park Hours

The grounds are open year round Sunrise to Sunset.

The Mill Hill buildings are open during special events and by appointment for group tours.  See “Guided Group Tour – Mill Hill Buildings”

Guided Group Tour – Mill Hill Buildings

Guided tours for groups and organizations  – Please contact the Norwalk Historical Society to discuss a variety of guided tour options for groups and organizations – 60 minutes to ½ day.   Group tours (2 – 12 people/tour) are $75 for basic 60 minute tour.  Available May – September.

Mill Hill Location & Directions

Mill Hill Historic Park
2 East Wall Street
Norwalk, CT  06851
Phone:  203-846-0525
E-mail: info@norwalkhistoricalsociety.org
Website: www.norwalkhistoricalsociety.org

Click  for Directions