The Little Red Schoolhouse Program Tours
at Mill Hill Historic Park
Bring your group to Mill Hill Historic Park
or have us travel to you!
2020 Registration Open for school groups
Tours: March 30, 2020 - June 12, 2020
Offered Monday - Friday
Ages: Elementary and Middle School
The Little Red Schoolhouse program brings Norwalk history to life through a series of interactive history lessons with costumed re-enactors. Students learn about early Norwalk and the town's significance in the Revolutionary War, get a glimpse of life in Colonial times and experience a day in the life of a 19th century student. The program is offered onsite at Mill Hill Historic Park or off site at your location through the Little Red Schoolhouse Travel program!
Register as soon as possible, dates fill up quickly!
About the Program
Mill Hill Historic Park Program - length: 120 minutes
The Mill Hill Historic Park tour includes the Town House (1835), Governor Fitch Law Office (1740), and Downtown District School House (1826) and colonial herb garden.
During the tour of the Town House, students will learn about early Norwalk and the town's significance during the Revolutionary War, with an interative history lesson. At the Governor Fitch Law Office, students will observe what life would have been like during Colonial times. Then comes every student's favorite part, the schoolhouse tour. The School Mistress or School Master leads the students in a reenactment of a 19th century school day in the one-room Little Red Schoolhouse. Students write with a quill & ink and participate in 19th century lessons.
- Cost: Norwalk Public Schools: $60 per class (maximum 25 students) or Non-Norwalk Public Schools: $85 per class (maximum 25 students).
- Chaperones: One adult chaperone is required for every 10 students. Chaperones must remain with students at all times and actively supervise the visit. Complimentary admission for teachers and adult chaperones.
- Times: 10:00am-12:00pm or 12:15-2:15pm.
Travel Program - length: 120 minutes
This program uses reproduction items from the Norwalk Historical Society's collections to bring history to life. The Little Red Schoolhouse Traveling program includes:
- Interactive history lesson about early Norwalk
- Reenactment of the 19th century school day including a writing lesson with quill & ink and various 1826 reading, writing and arithmetic lessons
- Artifact display from the c1740 Governor Fitch Law Office
Each presentation is conducted by one of our museum educators and is designed for a maximum class size of 25 students. This program is not suitable for assemblies or extremely large groups. A maximum of two presentations can be scheduled for the same day.
- Cost: Norwalk Public Schools: $75 per class (maximum 25 students) or Non-Norwalk Public Schools: $85 per class (maximum 25 students).
- Distance: An additional travel fee is charged to schools outside of the Greater Norwalk area (Norwalk, Wilton, Westport, Weston, Darien and New Canaan). This fee is calculated according to distance, maximum radius 25 miles ($30.00).
- Chaperones: The classroom teacher must remain with students at all times and actively supervise the visit.
- Times: The program start time can be scheduled between 9:00am and 1:00pm.
Little Red Schoolhouse Guide
Get your students excited and extend learning afterwards by using the NEW! Little Red Schoolhouse Guide.
Book your tour today... dates fill up quickly!
Once we have your completed registration form, a letter confirming your date and time will be mailed to you.
A 50% deposit for the Mill Hill Historic Park Program or Traveling Program is due 3 weeks before your scheduled date. The balance is due the day of the program.
Make check payable to: Norwalk Historical Society. Mail to: Norwalk Historical Society, P.O. Box 1640, Norwalk, CT 06852