- This event has passed.
Self-Guided Tours of the Norwalk Historical Society Museum
July 22, 2021 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm
An event every day that begins at 12:00 pm, repeating until September 30, 2021
- PURCHASE TICKETS IN ADVANCE
- Tours are Wednesday – Saturday at Noon, 1pm, 2pm & 3pm.
- The Norwalk Historical Society Museum is located at 141 East Avenue. The front entrance is accessible from the Norwalk City Hall parking area at 125 East Avenue. The Museum is in the red brick house with blue double front doors, next to the Norwalk Health Department.
- Please read our visitor guidelines below before buying tickets!
Adults: $5.00 per person
Seniors ages 65+: $3.00 per person
Youth ages 4 – 17: $3.00 per person
Children 3 and under are free
All Sales Final. No Refunds
Explore nine exhibitions that highlight Norwalk’s rich history.
“Caught in the Crosshairs: The Secret of the Norden Bombsight” curated by Judith Bacal
“Destination Norwalk: African-American Migration from the South, 1940 – 1970” curated by Kathleen Motes Bennewitz
“Eating off the Landscape: The Farrington-Lockwood Dessert Service” and “Form, Function, Family: Silver from the Norwalk Historical Society and City of Norwalk Collections” both curated by Elizabeth Pratt Fox
“Margaret Hoyt Smith Norwalk’s First Female Architect” curated by Lynn Friedman
“New Deal, New Day: WPA Artists at Work and Play” curated by Valerie A. Cooper
“Norwalk Collects: Celebrating Four Historic Collections” curated by Elizabeth Pratt Fox
“Norwalk: Portrait of Diversity” curated by Leslie Korzenik with photography from the late Tony Valez
“Self and the World: Experiencing Photography in 19th-Century Norwalk” curated by Elizabeth Avery.
The Norwalk Historical Society Museum’s Gift Shop will be open during self-guided tour hours. The gift shop showcases the work of over fifteen local artists and features an eclectic array of distinctive merchandise including home decor, paintings, mixed media art, photography, jewelry, books, clothing, vintage-inspired toys, pottery as well as Norwalk Historical Society logo wear.
Norwalk Historical Society Museum Visitor Guidelines
The health and safety of our visitors, volunteers, and staff are our highest priority. Therefore, we continue to implement the State of Connecticut’s regulations, CDC guidelines, and industry standards for best museum practices during the ongoing pandemic with the following rules and measures established for your visit.
• All visitors will be required to wear masks regardless of vaccination status when inside the Norwalk Historical Society Museum.
• If you have a medical condition that keeps you from wearing a mask, we ask you to please visit at a later date when it is deemed safe for visitors not to wear a mask.
• If you do not have a mask available, or your mask is deemed ineffective, the Norwalk Historical Society will make a disposable mask available to you.
• All tickets must be purchased online and in advance. We will not be able to accept walk-ins at this time. If you arrive without a ticket, we will ask you to visit our website at www.norwalkhistoricalsociety.org/events and purchase a ticket before entering.
• We will be limiting the number of visitors to facilitate safe social distancing using timed and delayed entry.
• Social distancing shall be required for all staff, volunteers and visitors. Social distancing means keeping 6 feet apart from guests, docents, and staff at all times during your visit.
• Bathrooms will accommodate 1 person at any given time.
• Only two people will be allowed in the elevator at a time.
• The Norwalk Historical Society will make hand sanitizer available at entrances, exits and common areas.
• We are taking precautions in cleaning common areas with EPA approved cleaning products. Sanitary wipes and trash cans will be available in the restrooms to avoid direct contact on commonly used surfaces.
• All visitors will have to agree to these regulations before purchasing tickets to the Norwalk Historical Society Museum.
The Norwalk Historical Society is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. To Donate or become a Member visit: https://norwalkhistoricalsociety.org/join-donate/
Make sure to follow us on Facebook @NorwalkHistSoc and on Instagram at @norwalkhistoricalsociety for all the updates.